1 small pale-colored desert rattlesnake of southwestern United States; body moves in an s-shaped curve [syn: horned rattlesnake, Crotalus cerastes]
2 air-to-air missile with infrared homing device
EtymologyFrom side and winder meaning it makes rounding motions from side to side as it progresses.
Nounsidewinder (plural: sidewinders)
- A North American rattlesnake, Crotalus cerastes, that inhabits lowland deserts.
- A person who is untrustworthy.
- German: Seitenwinder-Klapperschlange
Sidewinder may refer to:
- Crotalus cerastes, a venomous rattlesnake species.
- Sidewinder (band), an Australian band
- Sidewinders, a barbershop quartet
- The Sidewinders, an Arizona rock band
- The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite, a single by american rock band R.E.M.
- The Sidewinder, an album by Lee Morgan
- "Sidewinder", a song by Avenged Sevenfold
- "Sidewinder", a song by The Cynic Project
- Sidewinder, a pseudonym of Ferry Corsten
In roller coasters:
In other uses:
- Sidewinder (slot car), a type of slot car or model car with a transverse motor
- AIM-9 Sidewinder, an air-to-air missile
- Tucson Sidewinders, a minor league baseball team of the Pacific Coast League
- Dodge Sidewinder, a concept car
- Code name for Budd, a character in the movie Kill Bill
- A freestyle skateboarding trick
- A map in the video game Halo: Combat Evolved
- Sidewinder (comics), a fictional supervillain in comic books published by Marvel Comics
sidewinder in German: Sidewinder
sidewinder in French: Sidewinder
sidewinder in Japanese: サイドワインダー